Monday, August 20, 2007

Jeff's piece


My friend Jeff Donovan has a studio around the corner from mine. We are often the only ones working in the evenings and on weekends. Jeff has been an artist all his life, when to the Ringling School in Florida, and is known for his unique, figurative paintings and pastels. About a year or so ago, Jeff took up ceramics. He even went to Penland and studied under an international teacher. His work is absolutely amazing. What's more....it looks just like his 2D work...but 3D. Watching Jeff create work is like witnessing a complex construction. The pieces aren't "formed"; they're BUILT, section at a time and with great attention to every detail. Tonight Jeff asked me to take a photo for him so that he can share it with his family. Like my family, they live far away and there's no good way to "talk" about a visual expression. Jeff also doesn't own a computer. His wonderful employer, Ginny, let's him check his email at work. So, I'm posting the picture here on my "family blog"...for Jeff's family...but I know my family will enjoy it too!

By the way, if you click on the photo, it will enlarge for close inspection of details.

No comments: