Monday, June 30, 2008

Steve's Landscaping and a special gift


(Click on any of these images to enlarge!)
This summer Steve has been landscaping. It all started about a month ago after a storm nearly sent a neighborhood tree smashing to the ground. The city discovered that the tree was almost dead. It was, in fact, hollow. They cut it down and piled the circular sections alongside the street. Steve dragged back one of these parts before it was all hauled away. Steve, aka "Andy Goldsworthy", considers this a biodegradable lawn ornament and his new project was underway. He removed the ugly fence that had been attached to the garage front. It took two days of digging and breaking concrete to remove the poles. Most of the pavers were from other projects. Several were broken...so Steve broke them all and added little, white pebbles. He's been hauling in top soil and mulch and wants some flowering plants next. I've stayed as far away from all this as possible...lest he want my help! It does look beautiful. Oh, another thing....the bullfrog in the pond is quite enormous now and almost unafraid of Steve!

Last week was my birthday. As normal, we don't celebrate with fanfare, gifts, or other ways to mark the occasion....but a special gift arrived in the mail. I've been rather speechless since opening it. Charlene used to work here at Mouse House. We've exchanged a few emails, and she's read my blog...but never commented. I had no idea that she remembered when my birthday is and no idea that such a beautiful piece of jewelry would make the day special. The card, however, is as treasured...and will soon be in its own frame. I have the perfect chain for the cross and the perfect shelf on which to set the framed note. Thank you Charlene...from the bottom of my heart!

2 comments:

Wanda said...

The stump is so beautiful! I'm so glad he salvaged it! It is really neat. And the landscaping is great! You know, I've been to your house 2-3 times but I have no idea where that red brick wall is or the new landscaping. OK...maybe I didn't walk all around your house. I seem to remember very large bugs. The note you got from Charlene is something to treasure. it is so nice to be told that you touched someone's life and made a difference. My love to all of you!

Anonymous said...

Something blooming and something trailing is all that is needed to complete the landscape. How lovely to reintroduce the back corner to the rest of the property! Your Dad has a frog who visits him when he is in the hottub and a snake who comes to watch him fish. These creatures just recognize a friend. Mom